Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Tiny Tim's Tulip Garden 49" x 56"

This is a quilt that I designed from the book Strips and Curves. It was an ugly fabric challenge at the Denali guild c. 2001-2003. My personal challenge was to use only fabrics from my stash in the quilt. The challenge fabric was white with tiny tulips and green leaves on it. I had very few light fabrics in my stash, but paired it with the few lights I did have...not all that successfully. The fabric was also a problem in that it was probably a poly cotton blend and thin. I had to line it with a solid white so that the seam allowances didn't show through on the right side.

I really like the almost transparent circle that goes into the border on the upper right hand side. Don't know how I did it or if I could do it again.

I quilted the stipped part of the blocks along the strips or in the case of the swirl, echoing it. The plain part of the blocks were done in a flame or wave free motion design. Unfortunately, I did not quilt the border as heavily as I did the body of the quilt so it ripples a lot. One of my first learned lesson on keeping the quilting even in the quilt.

I keep saying that I should add cross hatching to the border so it doesn't ripple, but I probably won't.






Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home