Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Lone Star 50" x 50"


This is one of two Lone Star quilts that I made out of teal fabric, about 1990 or so. It was before we had electricity in the house and I finger pressed all my quilt blocks at that time. Somehow I convinced myself that I would be able to press enough to make the Lone Star by the strip pieced method. As you can see, I did get it done, but not without lots of ripping and blue air from the language in my sewing room. I quilted a gentle curve in the diamonds of the star and cross hatching for the background. One of them had teal background and was a wedding gift for Jack and Jenna Fontenella, this one I gave to Darcy.
AE (after electricity) I took a class from Patti Jordan and that star went together like a dream. I'm glad I persevered to finish the teal stars, but am also glad I took the class AE as I don't think I would have done another after all the ripping I did on the first two. My piecing shows a marked improvement after I was able to press pieces...always knew it would but it was far more dramatic than I thought. Still, it's fun to look back on those days BE (before electricity) and marvel at how much I did get done.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home