Sunday, December 27, 2009

Darcy's first quilt 48" x 48"


When we moved into our log home (1975) Darcy needed a bedspread for her first bed. I made pinwheel blocks out of fabric from clothes that I had made for her, cut wide lattice out of an old white bedsheet to make it big enough for the twin bed and unfortunately used a cotton batting but tied the comforter. This resulted in the batt shredding around each of the ties. Since it was a utility quilt I was not bothered at all when she drew on the white lattice, drug it around the house and generally used it up. When she went to college I decided to take it apart, get rid of the wide, drawn on , dirty lattice and make a smaller afghan sized quilt out of it. It literally started to disintegrate when I took it apart. I was going to just toss it, but mentioned it over the phone and she was horrified that I would consider throwing away her "blankie". So I salvaged what I could, at times making one full block out of several partial ones, then added a narrow white lattice with red cornerstones and a small border. It was done by the time she came home from college the first summer ( 1992) and the look on her face was worth all the work. But next time I find a quilt it the same condition I'll remember that it's best to leave it as it is...and let them remake it if it's important.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home