Sunday, December 27, 2009

Cross Stitch Star 70" x 84"

A friend's mother showed me how to turn just 6 cross stitch blocks into a full sized quilt by using star points. About the time that I got the blocks my mother mentioned that she had run out of handwork to do, so I sent her the blocks figuring that I would have plenty of time to figure out how to do the rest of the quilt. Two weeks later the blocks were in the mail and I still had no idea how I was going to actually do the work. I finally decided use the quilt-as-you-go method since we didn't have the room in our house to put up a quilting frame. I had a book on lap quilting by Georgia Bonsteel and I went to town...there are a total of 30 blocks in the quilt, all done with white thread and stitches that are so uneven it's pitiful.
My thought orginally was to use it on the bed, but the quilting shrunk the size so it was too small and I no longer liked the quilt so didn't want to put more time into it by quilting a wide border. I occasionally use the quilt during the holidays for an afghan. Probably the only reason I still have it is because my mother worked on the cross stitch blocks.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home