Sunday, December 27, 2009

Anniversary Quilt 45" x 63"


I made this quilt for my parents 50th wedding anniversary in 1989. I was unable to attend the actual party, but wanted the quilt to be there for me.
I started out making a kaleidoscope quilt, but evidently the template that I was using was cut incorrectly. After putting the first row together it formed an arc rather than a straight row. I thought long and hard about correcting the template, even found the mistake and tried to compensate for it by my seam allowance. But in the end I picked up all the pieces and quietly moved them to the trash can. It was a hard lesson, but now I always make a test block before I cut out the whole quilt.
I didn't have enough golds left to make a quilt, but decided to add browns with it. So used the pattern, Hole in the Barn Door, which was rather fitting since both of them were raised on farms in Kansas.
I had a "drop dead" date that the quilt had to be in the mail, so after the top was complete I did minimal quilting on the whole quilt, then as I had more time I added other lines to the quilting to keep it evenly quilted...for example, on the gold border, only the largest half circle was done all the way around the quilt, then I added a second quilting line and then the third to complete the swag. This was one of only 3 quilts that I have hand quilted. I think the quilt took about 5 weeks from start to finish after I started on the second one!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home