Sunday, January 31, 2010

I Don't Want Another Red Quilt Sampler


Top picture is the finished quilt, 2nd picture shows the 12" block that I made which won the contest.


Each year at the Kuna Quilt Show they have a Challenge Block Contest. A fabric is selected and people get a piece 9” X 11” then make a 12” block to enter the contest…any block they want and using their own fabric to make the block big enough. During the quilt show people vote for the block they like the best. The winner gets their block back and chooses 11 more blocks and then is expected to make a quilt out of the blocks by the next quilt show. In 2008, my block won 1st Place. It was the Snail’s Trail block. It had 256 pieces in the 12” block. I did it by paper piecing. I chose blocks that would work as a Sampler quilt trying to balance color and have an even amount of pieced and appliqué blocks.

I liked a quilt that I saw in Diana Leone’s Sampler Book, which had no pattern, so this is my version of that sampler quilt. The challenge fabric was the red fabric, but I didn’t want the quilt to end up being a red quilt…hence the name. “

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home