Sunday, January 31, 2010

Circle Play Quilts

The last year that we were in Alaska packing to move to the lower 48, I found out that Reynola Pachisich, who wrote "Circle Play" was going to teach a class at our guild.  So while I was packing up my sewing room I was also cutting out fabric for Circle Play quilts.  I bought the book and cut out circles from a printed batik fabric called Coral Reef which was in reds and purples, one from a fabric called Islands which had sailboats, tiki huts and waterfalls, and another set from fabric that I purchased while in Hawaii.  During the class I worked on the Coral Reef fabric, then during travels that winter I worked on the other fabrics...setting up a design wall wherever I could (one time in a campground shower house!).  I split the Hawaiian fabrics into two quilts, one with bright colors and the other more muted, natural colors. 

Even thought I had books on color, I never really understood about color until I took this class.  My quilts have been much more vibrant after this class as I finally realized the relationship in color, scale, texture and value.  I use fabrics together now that I never would have in the years prior to this class. 

I made a 2nd generation quilt from the Coral Reef fabric(these are the circles that you cut out of the background material that is behind the appliqued circles) which I clalled Hot Flashes.  After we got settled in Idaho I finished these quilts with borders and quilted them.  I have 2nd and 3rd generation circles from all the quilts, but don't know if I will ever get back to making more of these quilts.  Probably not unless I feel I need a refresher course on color.


Coral Reef














Vacation Paradise










Hot Flashes












Hawaiian Naturals













Hawaiian Brights

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home