Sunday, January 31, 2010

Raven

I made this quilt after a class on design by Erika Carter. This was another big jump in my quilting life. After this class I was more willing to try to design something even though this design is less than what I saw in my mind’s eye. I did take the time and beaded a “feather” fringe next to the beak and a few beads here and there on the body of the raven. At times I have thought about redoing the quilt and correcting some of the mistakes that I made on it, but as usual I have gone on to other things. It was a hard class because she wouldn’t allow us to talk to each other on the premise that too many times our artistic thoughts are sidelined by comments from friends or loved ones. She is probably right that we try to please others in our quilting endeavors rather than work for our own art, however, I wasn’t then and probably never will reach the “artistic” level that she has achieved. I do find that I rarely ask my family “what do you think about this?” when I have a quilt or fabric on my design wall. Her class gave me the confidence to “do my own thing”.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home