Sunday, January 31, 2010

Discovery is Another Word for Innovation

This is one of Ricky Tim’s Convergence quilts. I made a challenge for myself…I took a large print, a batik, a ditsy calico and a funky texture and put them into one of his small quilts. The large print was a map of Asia with all sorts of animals superimposed on the maps, the batik had both the red and turquoise and gold colors that were in the large print, the calico was the red and the texture was grasses and reeds in gray. I disliked the way the red calico became dominant once the fabrics were all cut, so I fussy cut some of the compasses out from the large print, adding spires for suns to the background and raw edge appliquéd them over the largest of the calico pieces. I added triangle flags to the right border out of the batik but it was mostly lost in the large print. Overall quilting echoed the shapes of the sun in the body of the quilt. I echoed squiggly lines in the flags, leaving the background unquilted.

I did two more of his Blended Convergence quilts with some hand dyed fabric and forgot to take pictures of them before they "went away".  I wasn't too fond of them.

I may do another one of these someday, but need to find a much bigger print to make it work better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home